Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Emotions

It seems like like is run by emotions and little else.

Two years ago, I lost 50lbs (which was a good thing) in part due to a depression (which was a bad thing). One year ago I gained 40 pounds due to another depression (which was another bad thing).

Nothing more about that, that's just an example of the power emotion can have over one's life.

I experience many different emotions while traveling. When I drive, someone driving slowly or having to go through road construction makes me angry. For a very long time. Unreasonably so (though not uncontrollably, I'm not going to hurt anyone). When cycling, a car can come within inches of killing me due to negligence, and after a minute or two I've fogotten all about it.

Cars isolate us from our environment, make us think of everything outside of our own minds as The Enemy. Bikes allow us to experience the environment face to face, to actually see people as people and not just obstructions. It makes us all human again.

Want another reason I'm trying to go car free? I am done with the anger of driving.

Jesus said "And if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away."

I think I should cut off my car and throw it away.

Figuratively speaking.

3 comments:

Jared said...

It's funny you should mention this. I was thinking the EXACT same thing the other day. When I drive I hate...HATE traffic...it's horrible. It's like I'm being killed slowly. When I'm cycling I could care less...I'm enjoying it. There have been times when traffic is piling up and I'm driving that I actually turn around and get my bike to run errands!

I think of driving as something I have to do to get from point A to B. Cycling is something I WANT to do to get from point A to B or A to A or A to BZCXWA. Cycling is fun...driving sucks.

Lazy Bike Commuter said...

Exactly.

Driving is fun on back roads in the country where you can whip through the corners and such at not-quite-legal speeds....

But commuting to work? Stopping for road construction?

Give me my bike any day.

Anonymous said...

I hate to drive and I find traveling by bicycle to be generally less frustrating. But I also find that I am more prone to "road rage" when riding my bike. It is very seldom mind you but has happened.

I think it is because I feel vulnerable on the bicycle. I am in sort of a fight or flight mode.

I have on a couple occasions actually confronted car drivers. I know I shouldn't but I have.